Re: 63 spit top

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd.hedberg@bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: 63 spit top
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:00:14 -0700
Odd,
  Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of getting the BMIHT certificate
eventually, so I may move up on that.  I was REALLY hoping that I could
increase the value significantly, say from $2000 US to about $2005 US,
since it is one of those RARE CARS! ;-)  Anyway, I'll check the window
seal for the hardtop, that would be great if the windscreen one fit -
the glass is in excellent shape, and I'll have to check the B-posts as
well.

Thanks again,
Peter

Odd Hedberg wrote:

> Peter,
> I don't know what level of proof Your government agency need to
> change the Year on a cars identity. Over here on the east side of
> the Atlantic it's usually OK with the data on the BMIHT Production
> Record Certificate. (On the other hand it's not that much of an
> issue what Year a specific automobile have been assigned... Mostly
> it's just a correction the really keen and interested among us would
> bother with... ;-)) The certificate can be purchased from BMIHT
> Archive Dept in Gaydon. I'm not really sure about the current cost
> since I bought mine so many years ago... And it's the Commission
> Number that determine what spare parts You need if there has been a
> change during the production run of Your particular Mark.
>
> (But it's nice to have the Certificate. Nowdays they're even worth
> framing...)
>
> "Where do I find this sort of info out? You ask... Well, I've gathered
> bits of it ever since I bought my Spit way back in the seventies. The
> Comm No / Year change info was something we once needed in the Club
> to administrate the insurance scheme we've got going. This to be able
> to determine who could, and who could not, be awarded such an insurance.
> Becoming eligible for one was rolled forward one Year at a time at
> New Year and was determined by manufacturing date. That's Why, and
> How? It's possible to find it in Gaydon if one work hard enough going
> through their records. It's as simple as that. Nowdays virtually all
> the Triumphs in Sweden have the age and are eligible for the insurance
> (bar the last three years '78-'80, but of those we only have some 10
> cars in total here) so the data have mostly become obsolete, but it's
> a nice source of information... ;-)
>
> You've got a hardtop You say. Well, the real difference between the
> Mk1/Mk2 hardtop and the Mk3 hardtop is in the fastening hardware so
> my guess is that when You've found the missing hardware (of the proper
> type!) it'l be easy for You to use it. The B-post capping on the Mk1
> changed when hardtop became an option so You'll have to check that
> You have the proper capping, OR force the hard top in place on the
> top of the B-posts. The rear window seal is an ordinary rubber seal,
> more or less like the seal used on the wind screen. My opinion is
> that any rubber windscreen seal could be cut to length and used.
> The problem is usually the glass. They are hard to come by, they say.
>
> BFN
> /Odd

<SNIP>