Re: Audible buzzer

To: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Subject: Re: Audible buzzer
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:27:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    James> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:04:17 -0500 "\"Mr. Mike\"
    James> Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com> writes:

    >> Basically, it's the same reason that the interlocks
    >> exist.  Because in some conditions, with the O/D
    >> engaged, you can caouse yourself $1K worth of damage in
    >> a second or two.  Belt and suspenders.  -MM

    James> Mr. Mike, Other than disengaging the o/d at
    James> 5500rpm, how? And if you're turning those kind of
    James> R's and don't know where your o/d is, well I don't
    James> see how a light's 'gonna help you.  BTW, I'm just
    James> having some fun with this. One man's useful warning
    James> light is another's glowing irritant.

Well, since you asked...

It all started at "Floyd's British Auto" in Cinci, OH.  I
bought a "freshly rebuilt" O/D trans from them.  It was a
steal, and I should have known there was a catch.  Anyway, I
moved up here, installed it, and it self-destructed 572 miles
later.  I know this because my odometer still reads that
mileage.  Part of the reason it self destructed may have been
a faulty (bad detent) O/D switch that had a habit of "falling"
into the on position*.  Maybe it did that one day when I was
reversing or something.  I almost prefer to believe that it
was this rather than the fact that the insides clearly hadn't
been freshened at all, let alone rebuilt.

Anyway, I've now had the trans rebuilt again, and I'm damned
if I'm going to allow my brain to blame anyone but the
rebuilders if it self destructs again, so I'm playing with the
indicator to give me a warm fuzzy that I don't do anything
stupid.  And because I can't resist tinkering with little
things like this.

I've also prototyped a circuit that disengages the O/D at
power-off and keeps it disengaged until the switch is toggled
off and on again, just to help out folks who pull into a
parking space in 2nd O/D and then try to back out.  This is
not useful for people who have the O/D properly installed, as
the top cover switches do most of that job for you, but I was
bored one day during lunch.  Chock it up to a fertile mind
with no useful means of outlet.

Then there's the progressive turn signal flasher.  It clicks
louder and louder the longer it's on, and finally self cancels
after 2 minutes (adjustable).  There's also a version with
attitude sensors on it that self-cancels by yaw angle or lack
thereof like some motorcycle ones.  What can I say, I'm a
geek.
                                                        -MM

*  Curiously enough, my new O/D swith has, after only a year or
   so, without even having an O/D in the car, developed the same
   problem.  I wonder if it's something I do.  I don't rest my
   finger on it or anything....