"gutless diesel Spits"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "gutless diesel Spits"
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 02:38:25 GMT
Richard the cruel writes:

>Nooooooooooo, I was calling my car gutless, your car was the diesel!!! :-)

 :-)

>I'd never thought of using that engine, Hmmm a friends Dad has 3 of them
>engines and only one Daimler 250 V8 saloon, Now will he sell a spare engine I
>wonder!!! :-)

I'll take the other two.  Seriously, my only attraction to this
particular V8 is it's striking similarity in appearance to an engine
produced by our nation's number three auto maker many, many years ago.

Here in Central Ma., old car shows equal V8 power...V8 power equals
chevy.  That's it.  The mindset is that *every* car should be powered
by a small block chevy...'32 Fords, '49 Mercurys, Jag saloons...EVERY
CAR!  Even Chevrolets.

To be fair...it's a good engine and so far they've made 6 million.
That's right...*SIX MILLION* of these lumps to date.  I've personally
only seen about 73,000, but I think that'll quell my appetite for the
next 100 years or so...

But the Daimler V8...now *that's* interesting.  Massive chrome valve
covers with the spark plugs centrally positioned, it has all the
trappings of a 3/5 scale, mighty Mopar Firedome.  Designed by a former
Triumph engineer, it almost seems right.  Okay...it was a former
Triumph *motorcycle* engineer...close enough. :-)

Naturally, I'd never consider inflicting this kind of major surgery on
my poor old Spit...I love the car just as it is...deisel and all. :-)

But my pixie-like sense of humor <Ray Gibbons, 1995> has me
speculating on what fun it might be to drive into one of these
'Murican car shows with the "Hemi Spit"...tilting the bonnet open and
abandoning the car.  Making myself completely unavailable to answer
questions like:  "What 'ta heck iszat?...hey Bubba, is this wanna them
Furd Flatheads?"   :-)

>On a different track, I looked at a friend Land Rover the other day, he has
>just replaced the 3.9 Rover(Buick) V8 with a 350 small block chevy, now that
>chevy engine is a small compact unit, which I reckon'd fit under an un-modified
>bonnet.....any suggestions for a stronger rear end???? :-)

Richard...you need to check out this website...

http://www.westpro.com/Beast.html

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74 Spitdiesel, '77 Hemi Spit