San Diego British Car Day

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: San Diego British Car Day
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 97 14:35:55 PDT
All,
        I've not seen any posts on the recent San Diego British
Car Day, so I thought I would throw in my $0.02.

        Held last Sunday at Fallbrook, in the wine-growing district
of Temecula, 60 miles north of San Diego, Fairbrook Farms saw 275
British cars and hordes of enthusiasts during a perfect Autumn day.
Fairbrook Farms allowed us to park our cars on 5 beautiful acres of
what is normally an equestrian show-jumping course.  The organization
by the San Diego British Car Council with help from local clubs
was flawless.

        Looking at the Triumphs (1800, TRs, GT6s, Stag), MGs (As, Bs,
Midgets), Healeys (Big and little), Jaguars (Series 1-2 E-Types, saloons),
Land Rovers (once you peered 'neath the mud), Minis, AC Cobras, Sunbeams
(Alpines and Tigers), Moggies, Loti (Elite, Elan, 7, 23, Esprits, Europa)
and I'm am sure there were others, I was staggered at the intellectual-
and artful-inspired automotive output of an island nation the size of
the state of Oregon with a population approximately the same size as
California.  So many gorgeous sports cars produced mostly in the 1960s
decade, with nearly  equal numbers in the 1950s and 1970s.  I am sure
no other country has ever matched that level of inspired sports-car
productivity since WWII.

        Pam and I had a pleasant drive in "Rags", arriving a little late
(as usual) and found our spot at the end of a long line-up of Triumphs.
Rags generated a lot of curiosity, because it was perhaps the most
"hotrodded" of what was otherwise mostly stock-appearing Triumphs.  Hotrod
in looks alone, I hate to say, as Rags still sports its powerful 104hp
excuse for an asthma attack.  Sigh.  If SB42 passes, I can but ponder its
performance upgrades until 2004.

        I was able to meet with several folk on the list, and induct a few
new members.  Sure is great to put a face to a email monikker.

        When time came to vote for Peoples Choice, I'm not at all one-eyed
as we voted for a Triumph!  There were some breathtakingly gorgeous TR6s
there, but my nod had to go to our own Barry Schwarz and his green GT6+.
There is something very subtle about Barrys car that I struggled with for some
time, until the answer came quite clearly.  The beautiful TR6s mentioned
earlier were "over-restored" - too much polish, too shiny, just too much.
I hasten to add that they were drivers, not trailer queens, and the effort
of their owners is absolutely astounding.  But compared with Barry's car which
looked like it DID recently roll off the showroom floor, Barry's car got my
nod.  Eventually, the 1800 won Best Triumph (now that was a trailer queen).

        Best of Show went to Brock Tella's Sunbeam Tiger.  Brock is a close
friend of mine, and his Tiger is a example to us all.  Brock rallies
his car regularly, and drives it every year to the Sunbeam get together
usually held in Oregon or NorCal.  A class car.  Brock and I go for
drives pretty regularly, and although the Tiger will always show me its tail,
I just say that I am laughing at the antique solid axle tramp when he puts
the pedal to the metal!

        Finally, my thanks go the to San Diego Triumph Club who put
on a good display with many members in attendance.

        Thanks for reading!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego