frozen calipers

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: frozen calipers
From: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 8:43:41 -0400
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who gave me pointers on how to remove my
hub cap(dust cap).  I tried the machine screw method to no avail.  I
ended up taking channel lock plyers and gripping them around the cap
while banging lightly with a hammer.  I dented and gouged the cap(who
cares) and finally got it off.  thanks again for everyone's help.

Next question......I have the calipers off and are inspecting them.
Should I be able to move the pistons by hand.  They are in an open
position but try as I may, I can not get them to slide.  I fear they are
frozen.

Is there a way to unfreeze them.  I do not have access to a grease gun an
fitting or air compressor and fitting.   Before I bring them to apple or
think about a rebuild, I would like to try all methods of freeing.  I
have an acetelene torch.  Will this help?

Any/all suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Alan Camhi
'65 TR4