Re: Frozen Calipers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Frozen Calipers
From: twalli@vanheusen.com
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:02:47 -0500
>Next question......I have the calipers off and are inspecting them.
>Should I be able to move the pistons by hand.  They are in an open
>position but try as I may, I can not get them to slide.  I fear they are
f>rozen.

>Is there a way to unfreeze them.  I do not have access to a grease gun an
>fitting or air compressor and fitting.   Before I bring them to apple or
t>hink about a rebuild, I would like to try all methods of freeing.  I
>have an acetelene torch.  Will this help?

>Any/all suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

>Cheers,

>Alan Camhi
>'65 TR4

 --------------------------------

I have found that a "squirt" of compressed air will free most stuck
calipers.  Be VERY careful not to get your fingers in the middle of the
pistons when you give it a shot, as they do come out with quite a bit of
force.  I usually throw a heavy rag over the whole caliper when I do this to
keep everything under control.

I usually find that one piston will "pop" before the other one does.  If
this happens, just put the now free one back into the bore and using some
"shop wire", take a couple of turns around the caliper/free piston to secure
it.  I have never known of a stuck piston that won't respond to compressed
air, but if you do have one, then by all means, send it out to Apple or
White Post -- don't use acetylene, you'll just end up being frustrated.