Re: Frame prep...

To: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Subject: Re: Frame prep...
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 07:40:24 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Peter Ficklin wrote:

> Chris Lillja wrote:
> >
> > Now that I have a TR4A to drive, I'm getting back started on my MKIV
> > Spit... I'm about to separate the body and frame I'd love to hear
> > opinions on frame prep. <snipped for length> Anyone ever powdercoat a
> > frame? Has anyone been crazy enough to chrome their frame? (Dull
> > chrome might be cool... can you tell I work on bikes?)
> ------------------------
> Chris,
>   Here's one vote for sandblast & powdercoat.  Got that on my '64.

        Dipping and media blasting both have their flaws... I dipped my
        TR4's Frame and intended to do the same with the body. A friend
        who had his TR4 body dipped at the same time my frame was advised
        against it, as the dipping process washed away all the calking
        (sealant) everywhere. There were places he couldn't get to to reseal
        the body...

        My "sand" blasting worked well too. After getting the body back
        and spending at least an hour blowing out the abrasive from all the
        nooks and crannies. I attemped to prime and paint the under tub.
        Sure enough some "sand", that had been cleverly hiding, chose that
        moment to leap out and spread itself about the engine compartment...

        Like I said Both have their flaws...

        Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois