Re: Distributor vacuum advance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor vacuum advance
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:28:41 -0400
Hello Jerry, you wrote, in part,

 >I have a 1976 TR6 with a 1969 engine that was running very good, but it
 >had been sometime since I changed points and condenser (which is
 >another story) and plugs, which I did last week.  I heard a very brief
 >"hissing" sound when I removed the back plug but could not pinpoint
 >where it was coming from.

..and this question came to mind:  Did you perhaps bump the brake
vacuum booster, its hose, or the check valve with your wrench han-
dle, when you heard the hiss ?  If the car had been running just
shortly before, there should have been residual vacuum in the brake
booster.  If the check valve or hose is cracked, for instance, may-
be a nudge from  your wrench allowed the hiss.

To check the booster, after the car is shut off, just stepping on the
brake pedal should allow you to hear the hiss of incoming air, if it
is working, if I remember this procedure correctly (check manuals).

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio