Re: Distributor vacuum advance

To: Jerry Greenberg <jgreenb1@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor vacuum advance
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:01:42 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jerry Greenberg wrote:

> BTW - About the new points and condenser:  I installed them and
> checked
> the gap.  The engine would not start.  I rechecked the gap but it
> still
> did not start.  Then I put in the old condenser with the new points -
> didn't start.  I put the new condensor with the old points - didn't
> start.  I finally put the old points and old condenser back in and it
> started although it ran rough (which may be because of the problem
> above).  I looked at the package and discovered the points and
> condenser that didn't work were Lucas parts.  I bought another set of
> points and condenser at a local Hi-Lo store (not Lucas) and the engine
> started.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Jerry,
Being lucas parts may not have anything to do with it. Being made
overseas might.  Did the oints by any chace have a protective coating on
the contacts?  Sometimes this will be a non-conductive spray or even a
very thin plastic coating to prevent corrosion.  The Japanese do this
with parts all the time.  You may want to check, but it's only a
thought.
Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4