Re: Flat black on the TR6 body

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Flat black on the TR6 body
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:10:51 -0400
Cc: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>, TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Bob Lang wrote:

> The answer is: NO.
> I believe that '69's had body color on the rear valance and windscreen
> frame. I'm not sure what the cutover was. If your car is a '71 it would
> def. have the blacked out rear valence.

Well, Bob, you're half-right, but, I'm pretty sure that you're
half wrong, too.  Mark's car (a '71) should definitely be
matte black on the rear valence and the windscreen (as would
a 1970 model.)

However, for 1969 models, from what I have been able to
determine, and from a quick reading of the relevant
sections of "The Triumph TR5/250 and TR6 Companion,"
by Steven Rossi and Ian Clarke,  (this, in my opinion,
is the best TR5/250/6 book available) the matte black
WAS used on the rear valence, and the grill surround
starting on the first 1969 TR6 cars (although not
on the pre-production prototypes, which also had
different badging!)  Thus, all 1969 TR6s DID have
the matte black on the rear valence.

This was suggested not by Karmann, but rather by Bruce McWilliams,
representing the US interests.  However, even the first
production TR6s had this treatment.  Note, however, that the
entire car was first painted body color, and the matte black
finish for the rear valence was sprayed right over the
body color.

I've also been able to confirm the matte black rear
valence treatment in the February 1969 Road & Track
initial road test of the brand new TR6!

However, you are absolutely correct that the 1969 cars did
NOT have the matte black windshield surround.  This was
introduced for the 1970 model year (Bruce McWilliams again)
along with the new wheel treatments, which were introduced
primarily to cure incessant rattle problems with the ROstyle
wheel covers.  Other changes from 1969 to 1970 included smaller
head rests, a different blacked three-spoke steering wheel
(same as later wheels, but black, rather than silver -- the
correct 1969 steering wheel is hard to find), interlocked
ignition moved to the column (rather than the switch
plinth), a new fuel filler cap, vapour recovery system,
and minor crankshaft and intake manifold changes.  These
many small changes, coupled with the very short 1969
production and the fact that aftermarket supplies of
1969 TR6 parts never became available makes it very hard
(and expensive) to accurately restore a 1969 TR6.

To make things more confusing, the clutch master cylinder
bore change happened a little ways into the 1970 model
year, to help reduce the required clutch pedal pressure.
BTW, an interesting thing to note is that overdrive was
available for only $165 as an option in 1969 and 1970.
Boy, if I could spend only $165 to add overdrive today!

The stuff that Bob mentions about cars being repainted
at the dealerships is also spot-on.  A lot of Magenta
TR6s suffered the same respray fate.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers