Chalk one up for TRF

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chalk one up for TRF
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:53:05 -0400
Greetings all,

Thought I would share a positive experience I had with The Roadster
Factory this week.

I ordered a card rebuild kit for the TR3B. We are talking the stock SU
H6 carbs. As I am doing the rebuild, I find rubber seals in the kit I
can't identify. Not to worry, I think, as carb rebuild kits are
notorious for providing lots of extra washers, seals, gaskets and the
like.

As I scrutinize the blowups in Bentley, Haynes, the Moss parts catalogue
and the sheet that comes with the rebuild kit, I realize the kit is
missing the cork seals that go on the ends of the spring around the jet
assembly. Then I see the Moss parts catalogus shows an o-ring as a "leak
free replacement" for the cork seals. OK, mystery solved. Or is it???

The mystery seals just about fell apart in my hands, with rubber flakes
falling off them as I rubbed them. I installed them anyway was less than
satisfied by their performance. The jet is supposed to slide down when
the choke is pulled, and the rubber seals bound up the jet's movement.

So I call TRF customer service. I explain my problem to the woman who
answers the phone, and she connects me with Dave. I explain the problem
to Dave, and he pulls out his Moss catalogue. (Come on TRF, where is
your TR3 catalogue???) We determine the part number of the original cork
seals, he shows them in stock. Dave gets my phone number and says he
wants to check that they are in fact cork seals, and he will call me
right back.

Five minutes later, my phone rings and Dave tells me he has the 4 cork
seals I need in his hand and is putting them in an envelope. I got them
yesterday.

The problem was TRF's supplier of the carb kit put some bad seals in the
kit, but TRF was happy to get me the right seals at their cost. Sure,
the seals are probably only worth $1.00, but Dave was apologetic and
happy he could fix the problem.

I can't understand all the whining that goes on the list about our
suppliers. Seems to me they all bend over backwards to get and keep our
business.

On an unrealted note, as I have already taken up way too much bandwidth
on this post, the wife and I are leaving today for a trip to Ireland, so
I will be experiencing list withdraw for the next week. I am staying
subscribed to the Triumphs, Shop-Talk and VTR list while we are gone.
Any guesses how many messages will be in my mailbox when I return?
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/