Re: Different Diffs...

To: <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Different Diffs...
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:26:42 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
> From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
> To: Nick <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
> Cc: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>; triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Different Diffs...
> Date: Tuesday, June 17, 1997 5:51 PM
>
> Nick wrote:
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
> > > To: Nickbk@worldnet.att.net
> > > Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> > > Subject: Re: Different Diffs...
> > > Date: Monday, June 16, 1997 12:24 PM
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I con't comment on the Rotary Spit rear-end, but I thought I'd throw
in
> > > $.02 on the topic of GT6 transmissions.
> > >
> > > If you have a TR6 motor, why not use a TR6 tranny. It is more or less
"up

> > > to" handling the power of the TR6 engine, even after quite a lot of
mods.

> > > The only drawback would be that you would need to fabricate a tranny
> > > cover and possibly the rear transmission mount as well as shortne the
> > > driveshaft.
> > >
> > > Sounds like one evening's work.
> > >
> > > NOT
> > > ;-)
> > > rml
> > Bob-
> >
> > What?, use a Triumph transmission in a Triumph car ??? What a novel
> > idea...<g>
> >
> > Actually that was one of my original ideas, but several people have
> > mentioned that although it is relatively painless to install the "big"
TR 4
> > speed into the GT6, the overdrive model is not easily installed. I have
> > even scrounged around in the archives and have assembled a non-synchro
> > first overdrive gearbox to see if that will help at all in installation
(a
> > wee bit shorter than the all synchro units). If I ever get more than a
> > little time, I'll get out the shoehorn and let everyone know if it
works.

> > On the differential front, I am now looking at a (blasphemy, blasphemy)
bmw
> > unit. Much closer to the original size-wise, but will still need some
major
> > "mods".
> >
> > The Car Curmudgeon
> >      Nick in Nor Cal
> nick, we have done the tr6 conversionto the gt6 since 1975.  no, the od
> won't fit, but since the gt6 uses a 3.27, you get back some of the
> cruise.  ted

Ted-
Ted wrote, that Nick wrote, that Bob wrote...wait I'm gettin confused
here...

Just how bad doesn't the od trans "not fit" into the GT6 ? My major problem
is that I do not have the 3.27 diff, but rather a 4.55, and yes "cruise" is
the problem. This car will see occasional use as a solo 1 car so I don't
want to remove the 4.55 locker, but don't want to drive to the track at
5000 rpm either. This is the reason for my use of an od (or non-Triumph 5
speed) in the first place.  Is there a "plan B"?

Hack jobs-r-us...
    Nick in Nor Cal