Re: Michelin redline (Aspect ratio)

To: "Pete & Aprille Chadwell" <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: Michelin redline (Aspect ratio)
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 97 15:13:59 PDT
Unless the aspect ratio is marked on the tire, it will be around 80%.   So
a n 185-15 would be 185/80.    Different brands always have slightly
different circumferences (take it from a former rallyist, we measured
mileage to the 1000/th of a mile!)   Rule of thumb for wider/lower tires,
to keep speedometer and ride height accurate, is to increase WIDTH (1st
number) by 20 for each 10% less ratio (second number).    So the stock
155-13s (155/80 actually) can be replaced by 175/70s on my Spitfire.

Bear in mind that as you go to wider and lower profile tires, that wheel
width is more critical. So on a Spitfire, you would want wider than stock
wheels if you wanted 195/60 tires (assuming no rubbing on the suspension
due to the wide rubber.)

Some of the tire manufacturers or retailers have more in-depth
explanations, especially regarding Plus 1 or Plus 2 sizing.
(www.tirerack.com comes to mind)

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit