Re: Herald Chrome Bumpers

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Herald Chrome Bumpers
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:53:12 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> Hey. You didn't tell me you had that early a Herald! And it sounds as if
> you're well up on Herald trivia.

I'm afraid I'm something of a rivet counting car-bore when it comes to
early Heralds. I'm currently compiling information on dates and chassis
numbers for the changes to Herald details (eg., peaked corner versus
flat corner front valance, changed late 1966?). This will be published
when I get my act together and get a web page sorted.

> So far as I can tell, all Heralds that
> made it to the U.S. were fitted as standard with the white rubber
> bumpers. It's possible that they were fitted here; in any case, they were
> obviously added on, as the retaining plates are riveted onto the valances
> of the 948s in the U.S., where the later cars had those plates
> spot-welded to the valances.

This is what I understand too. The rubber bumper kits are listed in the
first edition of the parts list (508073) as accessories, front kit being
560679, rear kit is 560680. I know of at least one 1959 Coupe here in
the UK with this option. My 1962 Courier also had rubber bumpers with
rivetted retainers (Couriers usually had plain valances). They were
fitted as standard to American Market 948 Models to "Jazz Up" the rather
plain appearance.

> Should you find any information on the Cosmic bumpers (yes, those or a
> similar variant were fitted to many of the Australian Heralds and
> 12/50s), I would be interested in just what you find out, if only to add
> to my knowledge base on Heralds.

No news on these yet. I suppose you know about the VTR Australian Herald
page?

> p.s. What sorts of rare parts have you for trade? :-)

Instruments, gearboxes, panels - lots of stuff really. Most bits except
for interior trim, though I do have a new Coupe Rear Seat in Targo
Purple, and one for a Courier in Phantom Grey - any interest? I'm also
working on re-manufacturing some Grey Rubber Handbrake and gearshift
Gaiters plus the early Coupe "herald" rear wing badges.

                Regards,
                        Bill.

--
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd