miatas

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: miatas
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:53:32 -0600
My meager ramblings on the recent abuse/discussion of non-british (or
should that be non-european? ie. how do the abusers rate alfas and
spyders?) softtops...

Someone posted recently that the miata registry in the usa has 600,000
cars. If this is accurate I think it is simply astounding!

I seem to recall that the total production for tr triumphs was 94,000
(over almost 20 years?) of which 75,000 were tr6s and of which 85% were
imported into north america (mostly the usa). Maybe some of my tr
numbers are a little off but still...

So if we add all the mgs, trs, fiat spyders, alfas, etc produced in the
60's and 70's, would we get even remotely close to 600k? And the 600k
only represents the number which were registered in this club. How many
miatas are actually being produced?

BTW, I have nothing against miatas, they're actually kinda cool. It's
nice to see someone taking a chance and making a car that is not the
generic jelly bean suburban commute vehicle or the dreaded mini van. (I
have no desire to own any japanese car - my other car is a vw gti but I
appreciate mazda's effort).

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada