Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 00:22:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, if there are so many negative comments about the
> air conditioning in "pseudo" sports cars, why are so many list members
> attempting to install a/c in their cars?
> Just wondering.

I'm not sure that the hostility is directed at a/c in these cars, but
rather that it is used in lieu of ever putting the top down on such
cars. <g> Sort of an illogical approach to driving a car which is made
to have the top come down. <g>

I think a lot of the talk about a/c here is for Triumphs the tops of
which _do not_ come down, i.e., GT6s, TR7 & TR8 hardtops, etc., and for
those folks with British cars who live in places like Phoenix, where
putting the top down doesn't help cool things off much, if at all. <g>

I got my first taste of driving a GT6 in 90 deg., humid weather this
past weekend, and occasionally thought, longingly, about air
conditioning... will I go to the expense and effort of installing a
system on that car? Probably not. With most British cars, the choice
between spending money on essentials as opposed to spending money on
luxuries is rarely in question. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....