Re: powder coating?

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: powder coating?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:44:04 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I have the original battery retaining bar on my tr6 which is the king
> covered in a thin rubbery plastic. Due to the old battery leaking its
> juice in the past, the rubber has worn away in places and the metal
> underneath is covered in a light layer of rust. I would like to "detail"
> this bar and am looking for ideas.
>
> One alternative is to bead blast the bar and powder coat it.
> Unforutnately a local shop indicated this would be $20! Seems high to me
> but that is based on their minimum charge.

Probably not that high, given labor rates today.

> Another option is to bead blast the bar (I assume thsi would be cheaper)
> and then apply a suitable coating myself. Any suggestions on this
> coating? Or maybe some "thick" paint? (I know nothing about what kinds
> of coatings are avialable for this kind of application).

What you might consider doing, Peter, is stripping of the old rubberized
coating, sand or wire brush the rust off, and then dip the whole thing
into the stuff used to dip tool handles for grips. It's called either
Plasti-Dip, or Plasti-Grip, something like that (haven't used any in ten
years, so memory's foggy). That should produce a rubberized coating
similar or identical to that of the original part.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....