Gas in the oil!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gas in the oil!
From: "Scott W. Paisley" <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 22:59:41 -0600
Man, I can't seem to get ahead of the game right now.  There is fuel in
the oil.  It's bad.  It stinks.  After just a few hours of running
and attempts to tune, I have a pint of gas in the oil.  At least this
explains the poor oil pressure.  Anyhoo, I think I've ruled out the
fuel pump as the suspect.

I removed it and placed some water in a dish.  I then pumped the water
through the pump, and then plugged the output hole.  The pump stopped
pumping, and no water came through the oil section of the pump.
The question is: Is it possible or likely that the fuel got to the
oil from the pump? (even after this test?)

Or is it time to look at the carbs?  The chokes are off.  Could they
be leaking fuel down the intake and into the sump?  Where's all
this fuel coming from?  Time to rebuild the carbs?

Any help, insight, advice, or methods to keep the faith welcome.

-Scotty '75TR6