Re: Gas in the oil!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas in the oil!
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:17:32 -0600
Cc: streeter@sanders.com, thefryes@iconn.net, ajsiegel@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU
>   Gee, you are really getting to learn about all the different
> things that can go wrong when rebuilding an engine!  Sorry to
> hear about the latest tribulation.

I guess one of the reasons we like these cars is that they
provide us the opportunity to learn, which (fortunately)
is something I like to do.  Debugging the newer cars I own has
been trivial due to the overall understanding of engine design
that the TR has taught me.  Yay TR!  But I sure am ready to drive
this thing.  I'm also not going to enjoy going to the DMV to beg
for another temp tag.  Oh well. On to the current saga...

Henry Frye wrote:

> I agree with Ken.  Fuel pumps operate at much higher pressure
> than can be obtained bench testing.

I thought this too, however, I've had a good night sleep to think
about it, and I really think that it's coming from the carbs.
It's intermittent, and I have some more info that I didn't post
last night due to the lack of a clear head.

After disassembly, I found zero evidence of fuel in the lower
portion of the pump.  That is, there wasn't any fuel in the under
side of the diaphragm.  Ok, perhaps it had evaporated, but there
really wasn't any evidence of staining, and discoloration that
I would expect to find.  There's more info that it's coming from
the carbs below... Having said that...

I'm going to rebuild the pump.  I just happen to have a rebuild kit,
which I'll work on tonight.  It doesn't look too bad, and I've got
nothing to loose.  I might order an additional pump (non rebuildable)
so that I'll have a spare about.  Maybe I'll use that one when it
arrives, and keep mine as the spare.

Alan Siegel wrote:

> I had the same problem a couple of years ago.  It happened after
> a carb rebuild and turned out to be a microscopic piece of rubber
> in one grose jet which prevented the the ball from seating
> causing a never ending fuel flow.

I'm so glad someone said this.  I've seen OCCASIONAL gas on the plugs.
Which I found to be quite strange, but couldn't put it together until
now. The carbs are running way to rich, and I can't seem to get them
to lean out.  I even set my float level to 18mm (16-17 is stock) to
no avail.  They leaned out a TINY bit, but not enough.  if those jets
aren't closing the fuel will continue to go into the engine.

Also, I replaced my bearings.  The old ones had signs of gas in the
oil.  This is BEFORE the rebuild.  Seems like this problem has been
here all along, it's just that the higher performance engine is showing
the evidence much more clearly.

I'm on the right track.  Looks like I might have to wait for some
parts, but I've got some old jets, and I'll rebuild the fuel pump
to see if I can get this puppy on the road sooner, rather than later.

Thanks for all the input/support,

-Scotty '75TR6  (getting closer)