Radiator problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Radiator problems
From: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 97 9:06:50 -0400
Hello all,

Well, the old TR4 had an eventful weekend.  Upon driving her, a mile away
from my house, she broke down.  She just died.  I tried re-starting her
and although she spun with vigor, she wouldn't start.  I waited about 10
minutes and tried again and she started up easily.  Once she started
again, she ran great.  I am puzzled to say the least.  She has twin
Zenith Strom's that are pretty much in song.

It gets worse.  About 3 miles later, I hear a tremendous boom/bang in the
front.  I figure I blew something.  Immediately the car starts running
rough(like its missing).  I get it home and notice that I'm leaking
antifreeze coolant heavily.  I also noticed that one of the plastic
blades on my fan is missing.  The obvious answer is that the fan blade
caused the leak.

I pulled the radiator and fan and checked the all the hoses.  The hoses
are fine.  I filled the pulled radiator to check for a leak and sure
enough, it leaked.  Now my question:

1.  Is there a way to fix a radiator of a leak and if so does anyone know
of a place on Long Island that can do this.  Also, does anyone have a
good radiator that will fit a 1965 TR4.  I do not want to spend the $300
plus on a new one.

2.  What else needs to be replaced when a radiator is installed?  Hoses
are in great shape.

3. Can anyone comment on the original problem of the car dying and then
starting up 10 minutes later.

4.  While the radiator and fan are off, is there any maintenence I can do
so that I don't have to pull the radiator again in the future perform
this maintenence(i.e. water pump, front oil seal, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will get on this problem.

Alan
'65 TR4(waiting for a raditor transplant)