Re: GT6 Bonnet Lock

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 Bonnet Lock
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 19:22:55 -0600
Cc: richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk
Rich pondered:

> >> From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
> >> BTW, does anybody
> >> else have a problem with hood latches opening at higher speeds
> >(seriously)?
>
> >I'd like to know if anyone's found a way to lock the bonnet that doesn't
> >requre a big ugly keyhole near each latch or a hole in the firewall for a
> >cable.
>
> >(Hi, I'm a GT6!  Would you like to steal my battery?)
>
> I remember vaguely a mod that someone in the TSSC did a few years ago, it
> involved opening the door, drilling 2 holes and inserting a small u-bolt
>around
> something, can't remember what(I'll try and find out) so that the bonnet
> couldn't be opened without first opening the door, removing said u-bolt then
> opening the catches and lifting bonnet.  It may have been that the 2 holes
>were
> drilled, one into the bracket that holds the rubber cone and the other into
> bracket that the cone drops into, so the u-bolt linked these two together.
>
> Does that make any sense, or does is all sound like shite??? :-)
>
> Rich

That sounds like an ingenious idea. It should work on any
GT6 or Spitfire. Using an extra long bit (5/16" or so), drill
holes through the bracket that the cone drops into.  The bracket
that holds the cone on my car wouldn't need to be drilled, the
U bolt would pass right through it and would confound the H***
out of a would be thief.  I have one of the lock sets that
goes next to the bonnet latches but haven't been able to bring
myself to drill holes in that beautiful Primrose paint.  The
holes for the U bolt would be virtually invisible to a concours
judge.  I would call this idea "elegant in its simplicity".
Thanks for the idea.
Dave