Re: Trunions Don't Fit

To: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Trunions Don't Fit
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 19:51:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Eric Kieboom wrote:

> At 23:13 17-05-97 -0700, "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net> wrote:
>
> >My  recent parts order from Moss included the necessary rear trunion
> >parts for the 65 Spit.  Quinton Hazell brand (QH).  Problem: they
> >plastic pieces do not fit in the hub hole.  They can be forced, but then
> >the sleeve does not fit in the plastic without force.  It is supposed to
> >easily rotate in the hole.
>
> I'm sorry to disagree. The bush is pressed into the trunnion and the sleeve
> is pressed into the bush (with moderate force). Only the bolt should easily
> rotate in the hole, which I'm sure it will do.
>
> (BTW: be sure to fit the raised lip washers on the bushes *before* you press
> them in - been there, done that....)
>
> HTH
>
> Eric Kieboom, '77 Spit 1500
> The Netherlands

I know the bolt is supposed to be free in the sleeve.  But there is also
no lubrication available after fitting, so I thought the sleeve was to
move in the plastic and be pinched in the upright.  Made sense since the
bolt was rust welded in the sleeve and I had to use a carbide sawblade
to  cut the sleeve and bolt to get hub assy out of the upright.

I will try again with a different set of trunion parts.

Brian N.