FW: Electric fans - Kenlowe vs. Hayden?

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Electric fans - Kenlowe vs. Hayden?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 11:17:30 -0600 (MDT)
at line 9]

     Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 19:54:25 -0500 (EST)
     From: dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com (david r simpson)
     Subject: Electric fans - Kenlowe vs. Hayden?

>    I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Kenlowe or a Hayden fan to
>supplement my weary TR-3A cooling system until I am able to redo it.
>   Does anyone have strong opinions about which is better.  I'm interested
>in performance, reliability and ease of installation.
>   I was going to buy a Kenlowe because I could choose between manual and
>adjustable thermostatic control (the Hayden has fixed thermostatic control,
>turning on at 185 and off at 170), because I have known about it for some
>time, seen it on other TR-3s, and because I hadn't heard of the Hayden
>until receiving the recent Moss price list.
>   A friend from the list recommends Hayden because you can get parts for
>it and their warrantee response is better.
>    Any thoughts?  Thanks.
>John

  I went through the same thinking process. I Tried installing a electric fan
but it does not replace a good radiator.  I then had the radiator recored minus
the hole for the starter.  I did not want to give up 3 inches or so in the
center
of the radiator.  To wrap the tubes around the starter hole could be done by
a shop that works on large trucks (18 wheelers), but the that could double
the cost of the recore.  I did reinstall a standard parts store off the shelf
electric fan, with a adjustable thermostat.   But had angle brackets welded
to the side frames of the radiator. For solid mounting of the fan.  Look for
a fan that can be mounted on either the front or rear of the radiator, so you
can deal with a positive or negative gound system and still have the fan blow
the right way.  This system worked out fine the engine stays cool the fan does
come on and off but does not run very much during normal driving.  I did have
to remove the hand crank starter extension, since it was too close to the new
radiator for my confort level.

Good Luck
Dave Simpson

Cool cars deserve Cool Engines