Starting an engine on Jackstands

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starting an engine on Jackstands
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:44:00 -0400
Hey List

Is it dangerous (or stupid) to start a TR3's engine with the car up on
jackstands?  The frame is about 15 inches off the virtually level concrete
floor, I've got four 2 1/2 ton stands, two on the rear axle, two on the
frame near the engine.

I'd sure hate for the car to fall off, but the car is solidly on the stands.
Before I got under it, in late November, I rocked and shook the car and
frame really well to be sure it was solid.

What is the verdict?  Is this dangerous? Anybody ever done this (and lived
to tell about it)?  I just want to start it to make sure it doesn't detonate
(new bottom end bearings, and check for leaks.

................and no, I will not get under it while it is running!

TIA (took me a while to figure out what this one meant)

Jack Brooks
TS69032L - almost ready to return to the road