Re: Stuck valve?

To: Paul Souza <psouza@skyserv4.med.osd.mil>
Subject: Re: Stuck valve?
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 10:11:58 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Paul Souza wrote:

> Fellow wrenchers,
>
> Well, it had to happen.......After a 2 hour stop-n-go commute, I return home
>and
> there's a message from my wife on the answering machine:  "The car broke down,
> I called AAA and asked for a flat bed".   I looked outside and there it is
> coming up the road.  First time the car's been towed (not counting vandalism)
> since the resto.
>
> She described that she was just traveling along, the car made a funny noise
>and
> then sputtered, and died.  After pushing the car into the garage, I started it
> up (turned over fine) and then heard a popping noise (similar to a backfire,
>but
> not nearly as loud).  She stated that was what she heard.
>
> Before tearing things apart, does that sound like an intake valve stuck open?
> The head does not have the hardened valve seats of a no-lead head.  Any other
> ideas?
>
> Of course, this happens in the spring, where top down cruising is at it's
> best....
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
> '68 MkIII Spitfire 76k
> '85 Audi Coupe GT 151k
> '85 Audi 5ks  267k
>
> --
> Paul Marcello Souza     Internet : psouza@skyserv4.med.osd.mil
> EDS-D/SIDDOMS           Phone    : 703-824-4167
> Skyline 4, Suite 800
> 5113 Leesburg Pike
> Falls Church, VA 22041

PAUL:

You didn't mention which car, but I'm assuming it was the Spitfire.  I
would do a thorough check of the ignition system before tearing anything
down. Make sure your points assembly hold down screw didn't loosen,
allowing points to close and remain closed, etc. If ignition checks out,
remove valve cover and observe valve train action as you turn the engine
over.  I'd try as much diagnostic effort as possible before pulling the
head.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under the knife)