Re: tr6 fan belt

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tr6 fan belt
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-04 14:47:11 EDT, peterz@merak.com (Peter Zaborski)
writes:

> Is is true that in order to remove and refit the fan belt you have to
>  loosen this cross-member?!? The steering column on the wrong side of the
>  car excuse does not work here (like it does for the oil filter
>  cannister)!!!
>
>  It does appear that the clearance required to fit the belt between the
>  crankshaft pulley and the "cross-member" is reeeeaaally small.

If it's the same configuration as a TR4 there is not enough vertical space
between the fan axle extension and the cross member.  I find it easier is
loosen the engine mounts on one side and then jack up the engine (a small
amount is all that is necessary) using a bubble jack.  The fan belt then will
go through the space.  The reason they say to put an extra belt on there is
so that you don't have to try and raise the engine or remove the bracket
(which IMHO is more work) on the road.

BTW  Been there - threw a fanbelt and broke my generator bracket by using a
crowbar under the generator to raise the engine.  (We all do dumb things at
times.)
:-)

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L