Exploding Spitfires (& SU carb woes)

To: "EPaul21988@aol.com" <EPaul21988@aol.com> (Return requested), "s1500@worldnet.att.net" <s1500@worldnet.att.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Exploding Spitfires (& SU carb woes)
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 02 May 1997 07:38:04 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 05A363369FC4C004-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 02 May 1997 07:38:04 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 02 May 1997 07:38:04 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <05A363369FC4C004*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
First Bob Sykes wrote:
[snip] Seriously I do have a concern in this regard.  My car with the  SU
HS4 carbs is still spewing fuel occasionally.  It comes out  the float
chamber vents and drips close enough to the exhaust  system to worry me.
 I've tried new needle valves, Grose Jets
 and a fuel pressure regulator trying to stop the float chambers  from
flooding.  The Grose Jets & regulator helped considerably.[snip]
+++++++++++++++++++
Then Bob Paul wrote:
We had this problem with a TR 3 after a complete nut and bolt rebuild.  We
finally determined that there was a constant feed of dirt coming in the fuel
line.  Just a speck under the needle is all it takes.  Might try flushing
out the fuel lines, check fuel filter, stuff like that.
+++++++++++++++++++
And now........  This is exactly what happened to me this week.  After
driving my freshly restored Spit Mk I with twin HS2s (completely rebuilt and
otherwise working fine for several hundred miles) I noticed a strong
gasoline odor in the garage.  The car was driven last weekend, and then
parked for the week.  Popped the bonnet and WHOA!, the front air filter was
completely soaked with petrol, which was literally dripping onto the frame,
then the floor.  Pretty good puddle had developed.

Pulled the air filter off and hung it out to dry, then took off fuel lines
and the top of the float chamber to check the float and Grouse Jet I
installed.  No obvious sign of dirt, so I dried everything off, cleaned it
all and put it back together.  Checked it all this morning before heading
off to work and no more leak.  Question - how could I have so much fuel
flowing (okay, maybe a quarter to half cup total) when the engine isn't
running and thus no pressure in the fuel line?  The float chamber was full
at what appeared to be a proper height so....?  Any ideas?  Thanks

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe