Re: Exploding Spitfires (& SU carb woes)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Exploding Spitfires (& SU carb woes)
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 19:49:59 -0700
Worldly Scions,

Would I be amiss if I mention that the engineering code name
for this car was "Bomb" ?

Seriously I do have a concern in this regard.  My car with the
SU HS4 carbs is still spewing fuel occasionally.  It comes out
the float chamber vents and drips close enough to the exhaust
system to worry me.  I've tried new needle valves, Grose Jets
and a fuel pressure regulator trying to stop the float chambers
from flooding.  The Grose Jets & regulator helped considerably.

It only does it occasionally, most noticable when driving it hard
then stopping for a traffic light.  Perhaps it's just easier to
smell fuel when stopped.  By the time I pop the bonnet open to
see what's happening, the fuel has evaporated.  I can occasionally
make it happen at idle by suddenly snapping the throttle open and
closed.  The float heights are set correctly, but I suppose the
floats could be hanging up on something inside their chambers.
They move freely with the lids removed and I can't see whats going
on when the float chambers are assembled.  Too bad they are not made
of glass.  ;-)

I am beginning to think that this is just "normal" for SU carbs.
I see some models have fittings and fuel pipes to direct the overflow
away from the engine and on to the ground or into the air cleaner
filter material.  Any Worldly insight here would be most appreciated.
I would hate to consign these carbs to the garage shelf but, one can
only take so much "constant depression" from his carbs.

--
Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0-`     s1500@aol.com