Re: A New Bearing.

To: streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: A New Bearing.
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:17:36 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:59:46 -0400 Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
writes:
>Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
>
>> The usual reason for thrust washer problems is that some DPO (make
>that P
>> for previous or present) have installed at least one of them in the
>wrong
>> way around. It is very easy to do, since they install just as easily
>both
>> ways, and the correct way is not very intuitive, perhaps even
>> counter-intuitive.
>
>OK, is there somebody out here that there that's "Been there, done
>that"
>and can write a short description of the right way to install these,
>so that I can put the instructions on the VTR Maintenance page?
>
>(I would, but I don't know how to install them, having never seen
>a TR6 thrust washer...  I hope I don't have to any time soon, either!)
>
>--ken
>VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
>'74 TR6 Daily Driver
>
>--
>Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
>Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
>PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
>Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631
Ken,
Since I've been there n' done that, and my oil pan contains nothing more
than Castrol 20w-50 and  my crank doesn't move about unnecessarily, I'll
quote from page 36, Chapter 1,sec. 45, par. 8 of the Haynes' manual:"
Rotate the crankshaft in the direction toward the main bearing tabs(so
that the main bearing shells don't slide out). At the same time feed the
thrust washers into their locations WITH THEIR OIL GROOVES OUTWARDS AWAY
FROM THE BEARING(photo)." (caps are mine) The photo shows a thrust washer
half being inserted with the oil grooves facing toward the INSIDE of the
engine.
Now for the confusion: Page 132 of the Bentley manual has an illustration
(of a photo on page 36 of the Haynes manual) which shows the grooves
facing toward the OUTSIDE of the engine. The illustration is obviously in
error, as the original photo has NO oil grooves showing and the text in
the Bentley manual reads: "Insert the thrust bearings into the grooves in
the cylinder block ensuring that the oil grooves face towards the sides
of the crankshaft journal."
This is a very good example of why I prefer the Haynes book, but use the
Bentley manual as a reference.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO