Re: U-Joint Removal!?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: U-Joint Removal!?
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 14:02:06 -0400
Hello Jim, you wrote :

 >I replaced the rear U-joints on my TR6 a couple of years and had no end
 >of trouble with the needle bearings.  What is the recommendation of how
 >to install the U-joints so the bearings won't fall out?
                                 ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^
 >Jim Ruwaldt
 >'72 TR6 (being restored)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but if you mean, you don't
want the bearing caps to fall out while you're driving the car, the
only time I ever had that happen was when I had CRACKED yokes which
I discovered on a car I had recently bought. They were cracked through
the ring that holds the cap, the snap-ring (circlip) fell out, and
soon after, the bearing cap fell out too.  Whole car started to dance
the Hula, I saw a rear wheel in my rear-view mirror wobbling like
mad, and pulled over before anything worse happened.

I bought a used, salvaged, crack-free rear axle / yoke assembly,
since welding the old one sounded like it might be just more trouble.

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio