Re: Spitfire Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Wheel Bearings
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 13:52:13 -0400
Hey Nolan and List,

Maybe the curve ball in regards to the front wheel bearing play
is (drum roll...) the felt seal on the inner bearing.  Note that
the manuals say that a new felt seal must be compressed some, and
the end float set to a couple thou.  Now, how in blue blazed will
you be able to gauge end float, while compressing a felt seal at
the same time ??  "I don't think so, Tim..."

The old Six Tech manual (by Len Renkenberger, of the D.C. area)
went into some detail about this, and also suggested replacing
the felt seal with a modern lip-type shaft seal, to allow you to
set the bearings by `feel' as usual on American iron.

Right or wrong, I set mine this way:  re-oiled old felt seal,
which would already be compressed, with gear oil. Covered the
exposed face (the one away from the inner bearing) with grease,
to help keep out water;  re-installed and tightened down spindle
nut while slowly spinning wheel, to remove all end-play; then
backed off nut to next available cotter pin hole.  This has not
given any obvious problems, also no `slop' in front wheel.

Good luck finding a copy of Six Tech, mine is currently away on
loan; the correct CR industries lip-type replacement seal is
listed and described in this manual, if anyone is seriously
interested, inquire to me directly, I'll see about getting the
number for you.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio