Re: ignition coil

To: S1500@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ignition coil
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:03:04 -0500 (EST)
Bob:

Following my last post, I have had another thought. Regardless of what we
think the purpose is, the capacitor is definately in the discharge path of
the primary winding when the points open, so the primary will discharge
through it, right? Also, Unless I missed something, or there was an error in
the books, the secondary appears to have a return path through the capacitor
(which seems crazy!). The question is, does the cap speed up or slow down the
discharge of the primary, and if the secondary return is not through the cap,
where is it?

It seems the more I understand, the less I know. Or is that vice-versa?

It is apparent that you recall more LC theory than I do, so I will be looking
forward to your response.

Thanks,

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

PS: Daniel Pruzan asked us to include diagrams with our discussion, but I
can't figure out how to do it within the limitations of e-mail, can you?