Re: ignition coil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ignition coil
From: wlwynn@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 21:30:55 -0800
I haven't followed this thread, but I'm pretty sure the main purpose of
the cap across the points, is to provide a drain or discharge path for
the coil.  Without the cap, the car should run, but the points will be
distroyed very quickly due to arcing.  Back in the "OLD days", bad caps
were one of the main causes of failures in data processing (card
processing) machines.  A cap would go bad, and all of a sudden, contacts
were burned and the machines failed.  Same thing with cars.   As always,
I could be wrong.

Bill Wynn   1970 TR6