Re: ignition coil

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: ignition coil
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:47:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-04-02 Dan wrote:

> Following my last post, I have had another thought. Regardless of what we
> think the purpose is, the capacitor is definately in the discharge path of
> the primary winding when the points open, so the primary will discharge
> through it, right?

Yes it does, although this initially seemed to be 'parasitic' to me, it's
intentional.

> Also, Unless I missed something, or there was an error in the books,
> the secondary appears to have a return path through the capacitor
> (which seems crazy!). The question is, does the cap speed up or slow
> down the discharge of the primary, and if the secondary return is not
> through the cap, where is it?

The capacitor definately slows down the discharge of the primary (and the
secondary I believe).  This at first seemed to me to be a compromise in the
name of arc supression.  It's not though.  It actually helps!

> It seems the more I understand, the less I know. Or is that vice-versa?

Which-ever way it is.... that makes two of us ;-)

> It is apparent that you recall more LC theory than I do, so I will be
> looking forward to your response.

I think the LC theory has put me at a disadvantage here.  But it's like you
said at the outset of this thread;  " I learned a long time ago, that when
theory conflicts with reality, a wise man changes his theory. I am not a wise
man yet, but I am working on it!"  Well I'm having to un-learn some of those
theories to reconcile living with Triumphs!

> PS: Daniel Pruzan asked us to include diagrams with our discussion, but I
can't
> figure out how to do it within the limitations of e-mail, can you?

I have a couple of schematics that I'm getting ready to send to you as email
file attachments.  This is not something we want send to the list at large
though.  It would consume lots of B/W, annoy lots of folks (especially mjb
I expect) and it doesn't work very well.  Majordomo probably has a mechanism
to filter out this type of taboo.  It really screws up some digests (other
lists)
that I am on.  Other than file attachments, there's alway ASCII art.

Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com
"I would rather lose in a cause that I know some day will triumph
than to triumph in a cause that I know some day will fail."
--Wendell L. Willkie