Re: Fan and hub balancing

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Fan and hub balancing
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:39:17 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, John Middlesworth wrote:

> On my TR4 engine, the machine shop didn't want the fan and hub when they
> balanced the crankshaft, flywheel, rods and pistons.  So I'm left
> wandering how concerned I should be about the fan not being balanced.  The
> fan and hub are stock, but have no balancing weights at the front.  Is
> there an easy way to check the fan's balance?

        I'm not sure that the fan and pulley CAN be balanced (I'll rely
        on my more well experienced fellow scions for that one... However,
        if you are planning any high rpm outings (like consistently abouve
        5000rpms) with your "unbalanced" assembly...

                don't.

        There IS vibration set up by the extension, fan and pulley
        assemby which can creat harmonics that may be sufficient to crack
        your crankshaft the higher rpms... If you are planning to compete
        with your TR4, invest in a harmonic balancer kit from British Frame
        and Engine (about $250). The kit comes with te harmonic balancer and
        an alluminum pulley for the waterpump to convert it to a narrower
        fan belt. You will probably need a narrow pully for your generator
        too. You will also have to buy an electric radiator fan because you
        will be eliminating the stock fan as well.

        Greg Perolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois