Re: TR6 plugs

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 plugs
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:25:24 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dave Terrick wrote:

> Hi all,  2 cents worth based on experience.
>
> I found NGK BPR 6ES  plugs cheap and most effective.  In Canada,  Champions
> last for about 2 months at most - also confirmed by TR3 and 4 owners -
> misfired develop quickly.  Bosch Platinums work fine so long as you don't
> burn any oil (hah, tha's a good one!) but are expensive.

Hmm.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'v had good luck with
Champion plugs in my TR6.  I don't know if the batch or shelf
life matters much.  I buy mine at Walmart!

I had been having problems with misfires in my TR6 when I first
bought it, in fall of '94.  I replaced the plugs, thinking they
were the primary cause of the problem, but the problem didn't
go away.  Eventually, I found the problem -- it turned out to be
a poor connection in the throttle rod between the carbs, so that
the throttle plate to the rear carb would open about 30 degrees
less than the front carb -- causing the carbs to be way out of
balance at RPM, even though they would be properly balanced at idle.

Anyway, I replaced the plugs with Champion RN12YC plugs in the
summer of '95.  I had meant to check and re-gap them last summer
('96), but never quite got around to it.  So, my Champion plugs
got me through one and a half summers, and didn't seem to be
about ready to misfire yet.  This might not seem like a lot, but
my car is a daily driver on my 45-mile a day commute in the summer.
Yes, I've put 8500 miles on my TR6 since the Champion plugs were
last gapped!

I speculate that if plugs are misfiring after 2 months (how many
miles could that possible be -- 5000?) then there is something
else wrong, and using a different plug is simply masking the
real problem.  I'm not saying you should use Champion plugs; I
realize that brand loyalty often runs strong, but I don't think
even a Champion plug should cause misfires after only two
months.

I, however, have heard that the NGK plugs will give a stronger,
more reliable spark.  I've never tried them though, as the
plugs I have are still going strong...

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver, for 6 months each year...
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |