Re: TR4 horn trouble

To: cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com, cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 horn trouble
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:48:53 -0500 (EST)
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com
In a message dated 97-02-11 10:48:12 EST, cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com (Charles
Y. Farwell) writes:

> Isn't there also another connection that needs to be made between
>       the lowest portion of the shaft (below the second flex joint) and
>       the steering rack? It is the rack that actually provides the
>       ultimate ground contact.
>
>       I found my horns wouldn't work until I rigged a bogus flexible
>       connection between the shaft bottom and the rack. I never did figure
>       out why I had lost continuity to the rack ground.
>
>  -----------------------------------------
>  Charlie Farwell                  1962 TR4 #CT3852L
>  cfarwell@lucent.com

Right on Charlie,  but was it the connection between the column and the rack
- or the rack and the body/chassis?  If I remember correctly the metal
steering column fits into a metal splined part of the rack.  This would give
the circuit continuity through the rack with the rack in turn needing to be
grounded.  I remember that there was a braided wire at the bottom near the
rack but I don't remember from where to where it ran. (My car is in FL and
I'm not at the moment.)
cheers
Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)