Re: TR4 horn trouble

To: Tim Clayton <clayts@vegasnet.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 horn trouble
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:45:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tim Clayton wrote:

> Well - with everyone's help I've gotten almost everything working on my 62
> TR4 - now I'm down to stop lights, horn, and right turn signals...  Spent
> hours with a multimeter and believe light problem is all due to ancient
> flasher switch.
>
> Now for the pesky horn - from the wiring diagram it appears that there was
> no "switch" or relay on 4's, just the fuse in line with power (negative),
> and the horn button in line with ground.  I have confirmed continuity from
> the power (purple) wire at the horn to the post on solenoid that it gets
> power from.  Fuse is good, but no sound...  I've never had the steering
> column out and unfamiliar with how horn circuit acts in there - but the
> wiring on this car is amazingly sound considering it sat on blocks behind a
> barn for 7 years.  I've got steering wheel off to try to check continuity in
> that circuit but see no "wire" or post to check???  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again,
> Tim
>
> '62 TR4  CT 5565L

Tim:

I am in mid process with my '70 TR6's original horns
(on hold while in body shop getting painted). First
thing I did was made sure the horns actually worked!
Run direct lines from your battery to the horn's (- to
-, then + on battery and JUST TOUCH the + to the horn).
Repeat process with other horn. Simple, but when I heard
my horns sound, I new I could move on to wiring.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6