RE: Starterly Challenged 74 TR6

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Starterly Challenged 74 TR6
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 11:30 +0100
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Lately a delay of  1/4 to 1/2 second has arisen between when I click the
switch to "start" and when the starter energizes. Battery OK, connections
seem OK, although I did not follow the trail from switch to starter. Once it
actuates, the starter turns the engine over normally. Occasionally (when
people are around) the pinion will clash into the ring gear without meshing,
then engage on the next try. I checked teeth on both, ok again. Sometimes it
just starts up perfectly. I called Joseph Lucas in the UK but he said, "Hey,
Man, it beats the badupa outta me!", and hung up.

Any thoughts?

Peter Firla
Hi Peter,

my 10Pfennig guess:
I know, it'll sound strange, but could you please count your teeth!
No, not in the mouth, in the garage, those on the startergear.
We had a similar fault, where it was discovered, that a gear with 10 teeth
instead of the genuine with 9 teeth was attached.

Hope, this helps
 Peter
                             _____
Peter Juergens   -- -  -    / <>  \   __,@_\____
PiJay@t-online.de  - ---    '--0--'~~'--0-----0->
Dortmund/Germany
´62 TR4 daily        (with special thanks to Bob Sykes)