Starterly Challenged 74 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starterly Challenged 74 TR6
From: Peter Firla <Bombur@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 11:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
Lately a delay of  1/4 to 1/2 second has arisen between when I click the
switch to "start" and when the starter energizes. Battery OK, connections
seem OK, although I did not follow the trail from switch to starter. Once it
actuates, the starter turns the engine over normally. Occasionally (when
people are around) the pinion will clash into the ring gear without meshing,
then engage on the next try. I checked teeth on both, ok again. Sometimes it
just starts up perfectly. I called Joseph Lucas in the UK but he said, "Hey,
Man, it beats the badupa outta me!", and hung up.

Any thoughts?

Peter Firla