Hybrid GT6 rear suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hybrid GT6 rear suspension
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 06:22:02 -0700
<snip>  Has anyone tried a hybrid GT6 rear suspension setup?

You bet, Iv'e done it.  In fact I've gone as far as to replace the rotoflex
couplings on my Spitfire conversion to GT6+ double wishbone's, to TR6
sliding shaft axle type.  I love this setup and it looks really trick.  The
only reason I replaced the rotoflex couplings was they couldn't handle the
torque of the V6, I kept having to replace the rubber dounughts about every
two or three months.  I would literally tear them apart at the bonding
plates, and if anybody has replaced them you know what a chore it is.  You
can fit the swing spring to the GT6, but with the rotoflex setup the only
problem you will encounter is that the outer most u-clamp that secures the
leaves together will hit the rubber donughts during 'bounce' conditions if
left alone.  Does nasty things to the corners of the bonding plates ( not to
mention really scary noises from the rear).  What you can do is to remove
the bolt and sleeve on this clamp and carefully bend the clamp ends over to
contain the spring.  Be sure to leave a little clearance to allow for spring
movement.  Works great, and by the way, the competion manual for the GT6
states to install the swing spring to improve handling.
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' and  72'Spitfire   70'GT6+