SPITFIRE HARDTOP

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: SPITFIRE HARDTOP
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:01:18 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Good question, Andy.  Here's what I know about the attachment change
for the '64 to '70 Spitfire hardtop.  My info is based on research of
the original Triumph Spare Parts Catalog and the 'Spitfire/GT6 Guide
To Originality' (by John Thomason)...

The change occurred at comm. no. FD20,000 LHS and FD13,980 RHS. I
believe the most significant change involved the windscreen cap
revision when the old Herals-style over-center catches were
discontinued in favor of the lever-type catch for the top.  The lip on
the windscreen cap was no longer needed to receive the edge of the old
style soft top. There was also a slight recess in the new cap. My
research confirms that the lever-style catches were put into use at -
you guessed it - FD20,000 LHS and FD13,980 RHS.

I do know that the original hardtop was held in place by 6 bolts - 2
at the rear deck, 2 at the soft top sockets behind the B-post, and 2
at the top of the windscreen.  What I do not know is if 6 bolts were
still required after FD20,000.  My 1970 does still have 2 holes in the
windscreen cap for - I assume - hardtop attachment.  (Anyone else out
there have a '70 with a hardtop to provide me with needed detail on
attachment method?).

Interestingly, the soft top frame assembly also changed at these same
commission numbers, so the mystery still continues somewhat. I'm
trying to learn all details before buying a top that won't fit -
without modification - my '70 model.