Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs

To: Francois Demont <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:43:02 -0500 (CDT)
On 27 Aug 1996, Francois Demont wrote:

> Ten days ago you mentionned all the differences for the model 1970 Spitfire.
> Everything seems the same in France, except our 70 MK3 have a steering lock
> (same as MKIV). Did you forget it, or do we have more thiefs here on the old
> continent ?

Hi Francois,

Andy, Bill, and Larry have already responded to your question - but I
thought of a couple of other differences I've noted between my car and
other Mk3s, so I thought I'd throw them out for completeness:

We have mentioned badging differences - one more is rectangular
(actually a parallelogram) badges on the rear fenders (by the marker
lights) that say "SPITFIRE".

Interior differences - The sun visors are the type with the detachable
inner anchor that allows the visor to be moved to the side.  The TR-6 has
this same arrangement.

Also, my car has a top frame latching mechanism that is different than
other (earlier) Mk3's I've seen.  Earlier cars seem to have a pair of
buckle type latches to hold the header rail to the windscreen frame.  My
car has two levers that operate posts that engages holes in the top of the
windscreen frame (similar to the setup on TR4A-TR6, I think).  I have seen
a '68 Spit with the buckle-type latch - I don't know when the change to
the "lever and post" occured - Andy?

Larry mentioned something to the effect that the '70 had everything the
MkIV had except the square tail body.  I think for the most part this is
true but there are some diffences.  For example, the MKIV motor uses a
different block casting with larger main bearings, even though
displacement was the same at 1296.  Other engine differences were
incorporated with the MkIV too, in the head especially.

Cheers,
Mike
'70 Mk3 Spit.
mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu (for you Larry)