Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 20:51:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Andrew Mace wrote:

> > My 1968 Spit has the full wheel covers that have a conical shape in the
> > middle and have vanes that ostensibly cool the brakes. Do you know what
> > years these wheel covers were available? I haven't seen many of them. I
> > believe I saw them in an ad for the 1969 Spit...
> >
> > Larry
> > lesnyd@monsanto.com
>
> Those are pretty much U.S.-only. They were available as dealer-installed
> options for Spitfire and Herald from about the 1964 model year, but in
> truth were very often THE installed wheel cover/hubcap on those models.
> They are shown in accessory catalogs as part number V-XXX (forget the
                                                      ^^^^^
UPDATE: the number is: V036! Now you can sleep easy! ;-)

> number) and they were called "air-flow". This is an appropriate name in
> that they originally were "sided" and stamped on the inside LEFT or
> RIGHT, with the vanes facing the appropriate direction to suck in all
> that brake-cooling air.
>
> As long as we're on the subject, the 1969-only, U.S.-only Spitfire Mk.3
> wheel covers first appeared on a Dodge Dart, I think around 1964-66.
                                                              ^^^^^^^

Make that circa 1963-64, confirmed by Krause Publishings's _Standard
Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975_.

Now you can REALLY rest easy. :-) :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *