Distributor

To: "INTERNET:FNSortwell@aol.com" <FNSortwell@aol.com>, Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Aug 96 11:54:27 EDT
Fred,

I've used a Mallory Dual Point on my TR4 for many years, and I would never do
anything else.  I felt that the power delivery was much smoother, and that the
throttle was more responsive.  I should, of course, qualify this by saying that
I don't know how good my old distributor was.  I also think my car goes faster
after I wash it.   I did it based on my experience rebuilding VW Beetle engines,
where swapping to mech. advance definitely gave some advantages.  Those same
advantages were felt when I did it to the TR4.
You will need to save the "drive dog" from your old distributor.  This is a gear
which, if I remember correctly, drives the oil pump.  It's been a while since
I've looked at it.  The "dog" is held onto the distributor shaft by a pin, so
you need to put the dog on, and drill a hole through the shaft where the pin
will go.  I also had to ream out my distributor pedestal slightly with a brake
cylinder hone, as the fit was a little too snug. Don't forget to seal the hole
in the carb body where the old vaccuum advance hose went.  That was about all it
took.

Good luck,
David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com