RE: Wire Wheels, 155 Tires, Bruce's TR7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: RE: Wire Wheels, 155 Tires, Bruce's TR7
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 9:02:00 +0200
Keith A Edwards wrote:

> My Healey and my wire wheeled trailer had different, early knockoffs
(with
> the fine threads).  They are labeled NEAR for the left side and OFF for
the
> right.  Lefthanded threads were on the right side of the car.  I don't
know
> what was meant by NEAR and FAR.  Is it relative to the "curb" when
normally
> driving on the lefthand side of the road???

Spot on.  Here in Britain, "nearside" refers to the left side, as being
the side near the kerb.  "Offside", as well as being a football (soccer)
term, is the right side, away from the kerb (i.e. somewhere in the middle
of the road).  Of course, this terminology can cause some confusion in
other countries as, apparently, not all nations drive on the left ;-)

Daren Allder.