re: Wire Wheels, 155 Tires, Bruce's TR7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Wire Wheels, 155 Tires, Bruce's TR7
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:03:06 -0400
Keith Edwards writes:
>I suggest use of 1/4 inch (or whatever the necessary thickness) wheel
>spacers to effectively "shorten" the studs.

I must make the usual Carroll Smith-induced caution against the use
of wheel spacers.  They convert what should be a shearing force on
the lug studs to a bending force.  Not good at all.  If you must use
wheel spacers, make sure they fit tightly on the lug studs (and you
may want to add two or three hardened dowel pins with a close fit
tolerance -- similar to dowelling a flywheel).  Ideally, the lug studs
would be shouldered through the spacers so they act as dowels,
and eliminate the slow milling action the threads will have, but that
would mean replacing the standard lug studs -- exactly what you're
trying to avoid doing in the first place.

Dave Williamson  (silikal@aol.com)  Spits in bits