Re: Spitfire Exhaust Man Gasket?

To: Chris Boston <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Exhaust Man Gasket?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:06:25 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Dennis McAllister <svrx@c2i2.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Chris Boston wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> All spit 1500s blow manifold-to-downpipe gaskets at three monthly intervals,
> its in the handbook under "design-fault"  I replace mine three to four times a
> year, and so does everybody else I know.  They're cheap enough, but it's a
> pain.  The only known cure is to put a different manifold on the car, such as
> those from MOSS (triumph-tune) T.S.S.C., John Kippings, etc.
>
> If you decide to just change the gasket as I do, invest in some brass nutts to
> replace the steel ones, it makes removal much easier next time.

Chris, I'm not positive, but I believe the gasket and manifold you refer
to is the dual-pipe version found on UK 1500s. We colonists are far
better off with the single pipe version (if one carb is good enough for
us, so shouldn't one downpipe be!) Check your handbook under "design-
faults, U.S. Market" for further information. And our gaskets seem to
last far longer, often nearly as long as the manifold itself.

As always, YMMV. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *