Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:54:40 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Has anyone ANY idea what my problem could be(No, wait until you all hear
the
 actual problem before answering :-)), My '73 Spitfire 1300 is always showing
 3/4 or MORE on the temp guage, often nearer to the red mark.  I have fitted
 full width early Herald Radiator(No improvement at all), new thermostat and
new
 fan belt, the car does suffer from fuel vaporising if I switch it off and
leave
 it a few minutes before restarting.

 Any thoughts on what to check.

 ps, if I take the thermostat out the guage reads about 1/4 >>

Rich,

Does the car overheat on the highway or in city driving?  Or both?

If if runs hot on the highway (where the air is free-flowing), you may have
an obstructed radiator. If it only heats up around town, there could be a
slipping fan belt. Given the location of the sensor, at the top radiator
hose, where the coolant runs out of the block and back into the radiator, you
may have restriction in the block. From what you describe, that's what it
sounds like. The coolant is just flowing too slowly through the block,
picking up too much heat.

Does opening the heater valve lower the temp? Have you tested the thermostat?
Even if it's new, that doesn'n make it good!

Hope that helps.

Keep us posted,
Charlie B.