Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:49:19 -0400 "Overheating Prob's (Spit)" (Aug 23, 9:11am)
> Subject: Overheating Prob's (Spit)
> Morning (again)
>
> Has anyone ANY idea what my problem could be(No, wait until you all hear the
> actual problem before answering :-)), My '73 Spitfire 1300 is always showing
> 3/4 or MORE on the temp guage, often nearer to the red mark.  I have fitted a
> full width early Herald Radiator(No improvement at all), new thermostat and
new
> fan belt, the car does suffer from fuel vaporising if I switch it off and
leave
> it a few minutes before restarting.
>
> Any thoughts on what to check.
>
> ps, if I take the thermostat out the guage reads about 1/4.
>
> Rich
>-- End of excerpt from Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570

It could be the water pump, but the other things that also come to mind
are:

1. Wrong temperature thermostat. ISTR that these should be 180 degree.

2. Greasy, oily engine block. I had this problem, tried pump, belt,
rad, etc. Got tired of grease, cleaned engine and Bob's your uncle.

3. Timing. Can have a very serious effect on temp.

4. Unlikely, but the voltage stabilizer could be haunting you. How does
the gas gauge read?

Doug Mitchell